Your summer days of boating at Lake Lowell are probably over this year. Here's why. 

 

A health advisory has been issued after a toxin-producing blue-green algae was found in the water.

 

According to KTVB, the blue-green algae can make people and animals sick.

 

You can spot the algae along the shores of Lake Lowell right now. It forms thick mats along the shore and may be mistaken for surface scum.

 

If you get the algae infected water in your system or even on your skin you can experience.

  • nausea
  • diahhrea
  • vomiting
  • difficulty breathing
  • skin irritation
  • liver damage
  • allergic reaction
  • tingling in your fingers and toes

 

Keep in mind that fish are also affected and the toxins cannot be removed by boiling or filtering the water. If you think you have been affected by the blue-green algae seek medical attention immediately.