Boise Mother Sentenced After Daughter Dies in Car Fire
A Boise mother has been sentenced after her 4-year-old daughter died in a horrific car fire.
Some decision we simply can't take back. For 31-year-old Jennifer Miller the night of April 10th changed everything.
She was sleeping in the Walmart parking lot off of Overland Road with her daughter Allie buckled into her car seat and her son Lane sleeping on her chest. She had decided to use a portable propane cooking device to help keep them warm.
At 3:30 a.m. that propane cooking device caught fire. Allie was the first one to notice and according to an article on KTVB she called out "a fire!!"
Jennifer got herself and her baby out of the car first and then tried to get Allie out but it was too late. When the propane tank exploded it was all over.
Jennifer has a history of drug abuse. Allie was born addicted to heroin. At the time of the accident, 1-year-old Lane tested positive for both meth and heroin at levels that could have killed him.
Jennifer Miller told the judge, "Every day I replay that night over and over and over. It eats at me. I will forever carry that."
Tuesday the judge sentenced Jennifer to 20 years, which is the maximum sentence possible under state law. She'll be up for parole in 5 years. Her son Lane is currently in foster care.